I joined Southern’s Houston operation in May 2009. I started as a temporary employee but was soon offered a full-time position in August 2009. By starting out as a laborer, I was able to gain knowledge and experience in different workshop areas, which included welding and boilermaker skills. I’ve also worked in the field doing on-site repair work with shell and tube heat exchangers.
It’s great to be working for Southern. Every day is a challenge that allows me to learn and perfect my skills. I’m happy to be on board with such a great team!
QUALITY CONTROL INSPECTOR
The Quality Control Inspector is responsible for ensuring materials are received in compliance with the SHECO QA manual and deliverables are being built in compliance with ASME, TEMA, Sheco and customer quality standards, as well as assisting outside inspectors and auditors to assure a strong reputation. Provide guidance, as necessary, to junior department members.
Reports to: Quality Control Manager
- Authorized Inspectors
The foregoing is an outline of your key responsibilities and expected results. Due to changing circumstances and Sheco’s desire to constantly improve systems and processes, you may be required to perform other duties deemed to be within your capacity after consultation with you.
Key Responsibilities and Expected Results
- Read and interpret engineering drawings and radiographs
- Assist in Material Test Report (MTR) review and filing
- Perform PMI on incoming materials and generate reports as necessary.
- Perform Non-Destructive Examinations (NDE’s – visual inspection, penetrant testing, magnetic particle, leak testing, air & helium tests, hardness and thickness readings) and measurements (fit-ups, tolerances)
- Read, interpret and implement information derived from ASME Sections II, V, VIII, IX, TEMA standards, customer specifications and quality assurance manual
- Provide assistance during Code Audits, assist Authorized Inspectors and customer inspectors as needed
- Assist in preparing name plates
- Assist in training of new quality inspectors, grinding personnel, fitters and welders
- Collect and organize data for customer packages
- Manage on-going radiograph inventory for current jobs in shop
- Maintain organized quality control files
- Maintain pressure gauge calibration program
- Recommend improvements in quality procedures and equipment
High School Diploma or equivalent
- 3 years in quality with a similar metal fabrication industry
- Certified VT II, PT II, LT II & RT II preferred
- Certified welding inspector or experience as a welder, fitter or machinist preferred
- Working knowledge of MS office products
Knowledge & Skills
- Knowledge of exchanger testing and NDE techniques, material classifications and handling techniques
- Ability to read and interpret drawings, specifications and X-Ray’s
- Mechanical and Metallurgical knowledge
- Effective communication skills, both oral and written
- Ability to perform multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment to assure delivery requirements
- Basic office skills
- Ability to follow documented procedures and standards
- General metal fabrication knowledge
- Ability to work with and apply mathematical concepts